A bigger course for a bigger crowd. This weeks course involved the “sneaky hill” and a 750m swim course
We had 4 waves by ability this week separated by time handicaps
DRILLS FOR SKILLS
Deciding that drills are needed over punishing yourself in a swim session with a grueling workout is not that hard when you decide to pay attention to hydrodynamics and resistance.
Fighting the gorrilla is hard enough, you dont stop when you want to, you stop when the gorilla decides your dead!! what I mean by this is… drills are swam everyday by the bet of the best in the world, why would you not want it to be a part of your warm up and cool down for each and every training session?
For the time crunched athlete, drills are still your number one chance to lower the effort levels or levels or exertion during the triathlon swim portion, while trying to save energy for the bike and run legs of the tri.
Don’t get me wrong, there is a point of no return on drills for swimmers and there is a point when certain athletes will always be high volume swimmers. however here is my Question to you, ” do you think about every stroke you take’?? give me an honest answer of yes and there is no need to continue to read this post. however if like most of us, the pure bred water fish or the amateur extortionist a simple rule to engage the brain will lead to huge swim time deductions.
Now before I go any further with this I have some rules for triathlete swimmers
1. swim cadence or stroke rates — triathletes need the ability to be able switch / match /alter their individual strokes to suit races, race types and conditions.
2. Hips and shoulders must move together – hips are the driving force of the stroke- just because your moving your shoulders doesnt mean your hips are following
3. bilateral breathing in training– I don’t care what you do in races. do what comes natural.
4. A neutral head position – keep working on rotation drills, please do not neglect your kicking drills
5. Get the sequence right when choosing your drills and remember technique over speed with these, the speed will come eventually
Open water swim training
Making the most of your time, don’t swim or train blind or time is wasted
Another great turn out for the Aquathon Training sessions. The distances went up this week with a 750m Swim and a 3km run. Yes thats is two times up the “sneaky killer hill” it might only be a 120m in length but its a killer
It is great to see another huge turn out from Local Tri club Boru, the lovely magenta pink club colours are really brightening up the www.ulac.ie on wednesday evenings.